Friday, October 16, 2015

Social Media

Everything we do needs to be documented on social media, we Instagram what were eating for brunch followed by an OOTD. That night, we snap a picture and #latergram it before we go out for the night. Through out that night we tweet about the dirty look the tall brunette girl gave you and add snaps to your snapchat story of you and your friends singing in the car. The next day its all uploaded on Facebook into some cleverly named album for 2000 of your closet friends and family to see. 
Maybe we don't realize it while its all happening but all this time spent on social media is honestly a waste. We spend hours trying to figure out the perfect theme and we make sure not to repeat outfits on Instagram. If you don't get more than a certain number of likes you delete the picture. We are getting so caught up in scrolling through our Instagram feeds and snapping pictures of whats happening to our friends we are actually missing out on those moments because we are so caught up in trying to show everyone else how much your having fun instead of just enjoying the moment. 
I will admit that I have been a culprit of all of this until I decided to delete my Instagram and Twitter and settle for just having Snapchat and Facebook. When I first told my friends about this they got genuinely upset that they could no longer tag me in Instagram posts or mention me on Twitter. It was as if I was no longer a part of the social media world. 
But to be completely honest, deleting these apps and deleting my accounts is a great opportunity for me to focus on college applications and it also gives me a chance to create an entire new social media base in college with new and different followers. Even though I'm no longer a part of my friends social media world, I have now become a part of the real world and I think thats better than any amount of Instagram likes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment